Tuesday, August 7, 2012

An accidentally-patriotic sweater

I cast on for this sweater in January - basically following Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket pattern, but modified heavily to fit a toddler/child.   I do have the A-B-C-SJ pattern but I've knit enough BSJs by now that I think I could do it without needing to read!  

I got around 60% finished and then put it down for 6 months while I finished grad school.   I decided to pick up back up and challenged myself to finish it during the Olympics.  I used a provisional cast on, lengthened the center 90 by 4-5 ridges, then widened the torso a bit by knitting a few extra ridges prior to the buttonholes.   I did an applied i-cord bind off followed by picking up the provisional cast on and lengthening the sleeves, then a three needle i-cord bind off to seam the sleeves.  The colors are red, blue, and an off-white/light beige, so it looks patriotic although I just liked the way the colors went together.   The i-cord in particular felt like it took FOREVER especially since I had to do a variation to avoid a color blip from the stripes in the jacket, but I got it done less than a week into the Olympics.  The striping is a total coincidence.

This is the result!




I managed to convince Lily to try it on, and it looks like a 2T/3T size, and I think there's a decent chance it'll fit her not only this fall and winter but next year as well.  

2 comments:

Meredith said...

You amaze me that you can do all these crafty projects AND be a great mom AND work a really busy responsible job. This looks great!

Katie said...

Thanks! Knitting has always been a big creative outlet for me, but my time has been limited for the last 2 years for obvious reasons. I actually try to knit during my lunch at work to break up the day; it helps me come to my afternoon mentally refreshed.