Sunday, July 22, 2012

Not quite a fashionista...

...but I'm trying!   I've never been one for fashion.   I was never a girl who bought makeup and wore it behind my parents' back.  My hair has never been inspired; much of my teens and 20s was spent with the simplest wash-and-wear option I could find.   And clothes?  Utilitarian at best.   I spent the first several years with my employer working at our test facility often, and there was no point in spending money on expensive clothes when they'd just get grease, rust, and dirt on them.  Plus, I'm close to being plus-size and it can be a bitch to find pretty clothes in a size 16 when everything is cut to fit a size 6.   I can't just run to Nordstrom or Loft and go nuts.

Lately I've been trying some new things.  I'm no spring chicken anymore and I can't rely on youth to get me through.   I really do need to wear makeup to smooth out my skin tone and hide the redness and dark circles under my eyes that have only gotten more obvious with motherhood.   I ought to wear cute clothes that make me feel good, even though no one at work will really care.

My stylist up and quit with no warning back in May and I let my hair go - not a pretty scene.   I found a new salon on the recommendation of a coworker and went for a partial foil and cut.   The colorist had to do not one, but TWO Malibu treatments to get the well water-related mineral buildup out before she did my highlights.   She did an awesome job with my color.   The stylist recommended that we keep some of the length because of my face shape and adding some layers to give my straight-as-a-board hair a little texture and body.   I was OK with that because I can still pull it back for workouts or at work.   And finally, I hit up the Bare Escentuals store at the mall for mineral makeup.  I'm glad I did, because the shade of foundation is not one I would have thought to go for but it really smooths everything out and minimizes the redness of my skin thanks to having yellow undertones rather than pinkish ones.   I'm not doing a whole lot with my wardrobe beyond accessorizing more.  Honestly that's where I've struggled the most - I'm not sure what else to do that won't cost a fortune.

No comments: