Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Inexpensive wall art

When we got married we inherited a bunch of decor from various relatives, mainly my grandmother.   While there's certainly sentimental value to all of it, much of what we had just wasn't "us" when it came to style.   We've had this needlepoint tray thing hanging on our living room wall for years and decided it was time to update the look a bit:


I got my inspiration from this post at Young House Love.   The scale I was working on was smaller than what they were going for, but fortunately IKEA has smaller Ribba shadowbox frames available.   I snagged three of them for $9.99 each.




Rather than buying colored paper I decided to use fabric scraps; these are left over from a fat quarter bundle that I used to sew another pillowcase dress for Lily.



I just cut the fabric bigger than the opening in the shadowbox mat, then gave them a quick press with the iron.    Then I took the backs off the shadowboxes and centered the hanger in the middle of the backing.



I taped the fabric to the back of the mat and then put the backs on - so simple!



It seriously took me less than 5 minutes to make all three shadowbox frames.


I used our laser level to mark the nail positions on the wall, then hung the frames.   What a great update to our living room decor, all in less than 15 minutes from start to finish and for under $30!






No comments: