Sunday, September 22, 2013

In which I try to dispatch a yeast rash

Hannah had a yeast diaper rash at the end of August.  We're not sure how she got it, but these things happen, so the ped prescribed nystatin. (we were there for a weight check).   Lily literally had one diaper rash the entire time she was in diapers so this is sort of new territory for me.

Disposable diapers are recommended when a baby has a yeast rash because unless cloth diapers are properly disinfected they can hang onto yeast spores and reinfect the baby.   Also, most diaper rash creams contain ingredients which will gunk up one's diapers, either ruining them entirely or requiring extensive effort to remove the residues.   The problem is that Hannah seems to be sensitive to the chemicals in most disposable diapers; her special snowflake skin can tolerate expensive unbleached Seventh Generation disposables but your run of the mill Pampers or Huggies just seems to cause more irritation.    So I was sending her to daycare in her cloth diapers with safe diaper cream, then giving her diaper free time at night and using the fancy disposables with Triple Paste, nystatin, Desitin, etc.   I disinfected her daycare diapers with bleach (since Cotton Babies recommends 1/4 cup of bleach in the wash once a month, it's OK) and then grapefruit seed extract.

We had two solid weeks where I thought we were finally free of the yeast rash.  The damned yeast must have been lurking in her bamboo fitteds (which I now realize I neglected to disinfect since I was putting her in disposables at night).  I used one of them on her on Friday night and when we got up on Saturday her formerly clear skin was back to yeast rash city.  Then I committed the error of thinking Aquaphor might help so I slathered it on before we went to bed last night.  My poor girl woke up this morning and screamed when I changed her diaper.  Clearly the Aquaphor just sealed it in and made the rash worse; mom fail, right there.

I let her be diaper free before church today and then put her in a BG4.0 with a healthy slathering of Motherlove Diaper Rash and Thrush.  The rash has improved but not enough to make me happy, so we're pulling out all of the stops to try to get the rash healing by the time we go to daycare tomorrow.

Since it's diaper laundry day anyways, I have ALL of her daycare diapers and the cloth wipes in a wash.    There are only a few ways to sanitize cloth diapers when baby has a yeast rash, and bleach is one of them but is not something I want to use often to help prolong the life of the diapers.   So we'll be using GSE (grapefruit seed extract) in every load of diaper laundry until the rash is gone, THEN will do the bleaching.

For Hannah we restarted probiotics (dip a wet finger into the probiotic container, then let her suck on it) and her cloth wipe solution has several drops of GSE in it so that she gets a mild disinfecting of her rear every time she's changed.   I was using those expensive disposables but then remembered that we have a boatload of disposable Flip inserts in the closet from when Lily was a baby, and that I should probably use those rather than expensive Seventh Generation disposables.  So I'm alternating two old Flip covers (so if they get demolished by non-cloth safe creams and ointments it's not the end of the world) with the disposable inserts and have brought out the big guns of Nystatin, Lotrimin, and OTC hydrocortisone cream mixed together and applied 3X/day with Motherlove Diaper Rash and Thrush at other changes.   If this doesn't knock it out, I don't know what will.

No comments: