Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Vacation

Still feeling pretty sick and tired.  At 15.5 weeks, that second trimester rebound can start ANY time now!   In the last few days I've been able to take less Zofran but that may be because I'm home on vacation until January 2nd and Lily is in daycare, so my days are pretty relaxed.   I'm able to nap if I want to.  It's a good thing.

We had a fairly low key Christmas around these parts.   The tragedy in Newtown put a bit of a damper on festive holiday spirits, plus I really haven't been up to my usual degree of decorating and holiday preparation. Our tree got lights but no ornaments and the rest of our seasonal decor.  I was pleased that I managed to sew a pair of special Christmas pajamas for Lily (I ran out of time to sew the matching PJ pants for Mark and me, though).   I don't have a picture of them but will take one when I do laundry.

I'm doing some little crafting things in my remaining time off work.   Lily likes to kick her sheet and blanket off while she sleeps and I've been saying that she needs a sleep sack with holes for feet to help keep her warm overnight - enter a McCall's pattern that I picked up for 99 cents during a sale six months ago.  It has sizes that range from ~6-9 months up to 4.   I sewed size 2 for Lily and it's HUGE on her but I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  It has a separating zipper and knit ankle cuffs; I could have added sleeves but chose not to for the first one.   It was a lot less expensive than buying a toddler sleep sack and I was able to pick a pretty fleece print.   Excuse my floor; I didn't sweep it after my sewing afternoon!


I've also made lotion bars - they look like bars of soap but when you rub them (dry) on your skin, they melt slightly and moisturize.  They're supposed to be great for eczema (which Lily has had since she was a baby) and for grown-ups' dry winter skin.   It's super easy - equal parts by weight of coconut oil, cocoa butter, and beeswax, melted in a double boiler with essential oils mixed in, then poured into molds to cool.   I used some silicone muffin liners because I don't have a fancy soap mold and they turned out really nicely.   I put one in each bathroom in a little dish so I can moisturize my hands after washing them.   Lily likes using them too.


In-progress is my first attempt at homemade hair clips.  All you need is ribbon and a hot glue gun, but there's a definite learning curve - especially to sealing the ribbon ends so they don't fray.   Lily's way into bows and clips right now so hopefully I'll figure it out soon.


1 comment:

ninah said...

like an harem pant :) like it