Sunday, December 18, 2011

About me

I am the working mom, and I like to think that I'm rocking it.   I've been married for almost 7 years to a great guy, M, and we're both in our early 30s.   We have a 16 month old daughter, L, who is an incredible joy.  We would like two or three kids total, but for now L keeps us busy enough that we're in no hurry to try for our next one quite yet.  

I'm an engineer and I've been working for the same company for the last 9 years, and was an intern there for several summers prior to graduation.  I also go to grad school part time.  Like many middle class families we have been affected by the Great Recession; while I was fortunate to have hung onto my job despite the downturn, my husband was laid off three times between 2008 and 2010 (the last of which came when I was 20 weeks pregnant) before finally getting a decent gig when L was a month old.    I took 10 weeks off when L was born and went back to work.  Since then, she has been going to a wonderful local daycare center that she (and we) love.   I work because we flat-out need two incomes to support our family, and because I enjoy it and am somewhat good at what I do.    Ideally I'd like to work part time - and am even considering a career change once my childbearing days are over - but for now this is my choice and I'm happy with it.

I don't judge women for choosing to be stay at home moms or work at home moms, as long as they choose it freely and are making the best choice for their families.   Being a mom is hard enough without getting into competitive parenting or breaking other women down in order to feel better about our own choices and circumstances!   Having two working parents is what is best for my family, and as long as you don't judge me for making that choice I will promise not to judge you if you have chosen a different path.   

There aren't a lot of WOHM bloggers, probably because most of us are too damned busy to keep up with it. I can't promise daily or even weekly posts - my family comes first.   However I think that the only way the blogging world will really see involvement from working moms is if we throw our hats into the ring and join in on the craze.   Welcome to my life.

No comments: